[TenTec] Pan-Adaptor vs. Using BandMap with Ten-Tec Transceivers

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Nov 5 10:19:14 EST 2014

On 11/5/2014 1:29 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> I AM STILL TRYING TO UNDERSTAND HOW THE BANDSCOPE (or Pan-Adaptor) WILL HELP
> "ME" in "my way" of working DX contests.
> I know it helps for other things, but how will it improve my contest score?

Let me count the ways. First, it finds signals on "empty" bands very
quickly. Great for 6M and 10M, for example. Second, it finds a clear
frequency where I can call CQ. Third, it finds signals that I can hear
and work, not that someone else can hear but I cannot. Fourth, it finds
signals on their actual frequency, rather than a wrong frequency that
someone posted wrong.

It's also great in a DX pileup -- let's me find clear spots in the
pileup, see how wide it is, see the frequency of the guy who just worked
him, etc.

And it's great for tracking down noise -- I can see the drifting noise
bumps of a switching power supply, see other broadband noise stuff.

And, if what you have is an Elecraft P3, you've got a
measurement-quality spectrum analyzer with relative calibration of
amplitude in dB and frequency in Hz or kHz, so you can measure the
occupied bandwidth of a transmitter.

73, Jim K9YC