[TenTec] OT: Holiday SDR Project

Don Rasmussen via TenTec tentec at contesting.com
Sun Nov 9 01:04:00 EST 2014

Great info Carl - thanks.
Sounds like Corsair 2 has the best option for passing the receive but that is not a CAT radio for N4PY software so yes, some external antenna switching would be needed as you suggest. I prefer a universal solution so maybe the MFJ or a
DX Engineering RTR-1A and using the amp control line to activate it.

I was never a big one for panadapters but figured with a $66 SDR receiver there might be a simple/inexpensive solution for that - any way I look at it seems to be a couple hundred dollars - hi...

What radio are you using? Many radios have an easy way to share antennas. If that's not an easy solution then the MFJ1708 can do the job. See below.
The solution to share antennas is to add an MFJ-1708 T/R switch.  This unit will automatically sense RF from the transmitter and then remove the panadapter radio from the receive antenna connection.  But the MFJ switch will also remove the transceiver from the transmit connection while in receive.  So the MFJ switch needs a very simple mod.  You must solder a 14 gauge wire between the transmit and antenna SO-239 connections.  This will then make the switch operate properly for this use.  Additionally, you can wire the relay to energize from your radio's amp key line for faster and safer switching. Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549 www.n4py.com