[TenTec] Another retro question - Argosy-Century

Al Soto asoto66 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 12:44:41 EDT 2014

Carl, thanks for the feedback.

I think both radios are nice for casual ragchew cw.

I like the size and look of the argosy and it seems really easy to take on
trips.

They have the right power for cw, from qrp to 40w or so that allows good run
time from a battery.

The century 21 is larger but has the ac power and is as simple as it gets
for cw.

I was looking for a simple multiband cw rig using analog technology for fun
or when visiting family.

The SSB and size of the argosy are a nice plus but it is about double the
price of a c21 on the used market.

Except for missing 12m, they are perfect for my use.

73, Al  kj3q

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 13:37:58 -0400

The century 21 was a very different animal.  It used a direct conversion
receiver.  This means you can hear a station on both sides of zero beat.
  But the radio is really a winner for a CW operator.  It is very
simple, produces about 40 watts, and has flawless QSK.  I liked mine
very much.

The Argosy is a much more standard radio.  It has a regular
superhetrodyne receiver.  It has 6 bands.  They are 80, 40, 30, 20 15,
and 10.  And it runs SSB and CW both.  It does not have an RF gain
control.  I also enjoyed this radio very much.  I used it as a vacation
radio.  I eventually replaced it with a model 580 delta, which also
worked very well.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549