[TenTec] OT: Programming Cheap Chinese Handhelds

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Mon Sep 8 01:48:41 EDT 2014

On 9/8/2014 1:31 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> EXCELLENT information, Geoff.
>
> I bought my Wouxon nearly 4 years ago and there was hardly any info
> available at the time.
> The problem now, there is too much information.
>
> I think the key here is to buy a cable that comes with a driver.  Then it
> doesn't matter if it is a clone or an original Prolific.

I disagree.   The problem is that Windows Update service will
automatically download a Prolific driver that cancels the one that comes
with the cable.  It is programmed to know if you have a bootleg chip or
a real legitimate Prolific brand chip.    If you load the driver that
comes with the cable, it works, but Windows Update will override it
behind the scenes, at least on Win XP, Win 7 and Win 8 OS - where that
is enabled.  If you disable that, it will work fine, at least until you
re-enable it again.

Your XP machine may or may not be a problem, depending on how advanced
the updates are, as the later Service Packs are supposed to install the
automatic update service - if you can keep it off the internet before
you finish programming the radio, it will work fine with the driver that
comes with it.  If not, the Prolific driver will load over it and cancel
it.

Old news.