[TenTec] Eagle Mini-Din (?) connector

Fri Sep 19 18:20:30 EDT 2014

Although perhaps a good suggestion if a spare connector is available, I
can't say one should use the connector on ones radio.  A bit too much heat
and one might have a 2 piece connector become "one piece".......otherwise
welded together as the plastic may melt.

Jim, K9YC,  has the correct suggestion and that is to use some flux, proper
size solder wire, and a proper heat temperature controlled solder iron.
With the desire for smaller radios we find smaller parts.  That's life as we
know it today.

Just this week, due to an accident, I had the need to remove and replace the
AF Gain and RF Gain control on my Eagle.  I can factually say with the
proper tools the job was easy. However without the proper tools,
de-soldering equipment and magnification and lighting, it very easily could
have turned into a disaster.

Along this same line, I can suggest to anyone having issues with the AF Gain
knob causing the RF Gain knob to move and same for the BW knob causing the
PBT knob to move, I found that the knob position is critical AND
over-tightening of the set screw on the AF Gain knob and on the BW knob will
distort the respective knob such that it may come in contact with the inner
race of the concentric knob behind it.  Tentec does provide a proper size
Allen wrench for these set screws.

73
Bob, K4TAX