[TenTec] Eagle Mini-Din (?) connector

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Fri Sep 19 19:18:08 EDT 2014

Yes... follow Jim's advice using flux and tinning BOTH the pins and the
cable ends, before mating them.  That, alone, makes it easier to do any
audio plug.

Another easy trick, is to purchase a commercially manufactured straight
-through MIDI cable which already has the correct DIN plugs.  You can
cannibalize it by cutting off one end so it becomes unterminated at that
end, and you can strip, tin, and solder the correct leads to appropriate
jacks and plugs.   Use a continuity tester to verify which wires go with
which pins, they will usually each be of a different color insulator.  I
make break out boxes for all my radios, and often use manufactured
cables to simplify the task.  The manufactured plug mates with the rig,
and the unterminated ends mate with appropriate jacks - and I use
ordinary audio cables from there to any other device.

You can buy manufactured cable assemblies for these and other types of
plugs/connectors  from and  this obviates the need to solder any wires
to a DIN connector.   Look for these at any of these sites:

www.MFJ.com
www.Buxcomm.com
www.eBay.com
www.sweetwater.com