[TenTec] Centaur Tubes odd ones in parallel - finding and results

km2km at twc.com km2km at twc.com
Wed Apr 1 09:08:37 EDT 2015

Here's the result - first w/o tubes I fired up the Centau.  All lights on and not blown fuses.  pit in one tube that did not look bad - blew the fuses - tossed that tube out,  alonng with the one that had white dus in what looked like a volcano in the stem.  Put in last tube - all fine lit up.  So, tossed in the two Svetlanas with the sole Taylor.  The mixed troika lit up and gives full power.  This AM ran it at 3/4 power (a tad less than 75 watts in) and had good reports and it was a happy camper (so was I).

I'll order a set of matched tubes today so when this troika blows I will be able to start fresh - but, in the meanwhile, what is there to loose?

Many thanks for the suggestions,

Kris KM2KM
MERSCHROD
123 Warren Road
Ithaca, NY 14850

---- km2km at twc.com wrote:

Ok, guys, here is the scoop.

My trusty Centaur seldom needs to be re-tubed, BUT now I have two pairs of tubes,  one pair Taylor, and the other pair Svetlana because over time one tube left the troika for the electronic dump.   Yes, matched tubes are the ideal, but having a couple of pairs sitting around doing nothing for me and no foreseeable makes me wonder.  Just what would happen if they were a mixed troika.  That would leave one tube in the bin ready for another time.

Any ideas on dire consequences?

Many thanks,

Kris KM2KM
MERSCHROD