[TenTec] Centaur Tubes odd ones in parallel - finding and results

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Apr 1 09:31:19 EDT 2015

Sounds like your good to go, Kris.

You're lucky; Murphy is over here today on this side of the pond knocking
down antennas left and right.  We have had hurricane like winds for 2 days.
He was too busy over here to mess with you. (hi)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of
km2km at twc.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 3:09 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centaur Tubes odd ones in parallel - finding and
results

Here's the result - first w/o tubes I fired up the Centau.  All lights on
and not blown fuses.  pit in one tube that did not look bad - blew the fuses
- tossed that tube out,  alonng with the one that had white dus in what
looked like a volcano in the stem.  Put in last tube - all fine lit up.  So,
tossed in the two Svetlanas with the sole Taylor.  The mixed troika lit up
and gives full power.  This AM ran it at 3/4 power (a tad less than 75 watts
in) and had good reports and it was a happy camper (so was I).

I'll order a set of matched tubes today so when this troika blows I will be
able to start fresh - but, in the meanwhile, what is there to loose?

Many thanks for the suggestions,

Kris KM2KM
MERSCHROD
123 Warren Road
Ithaca, NY 14850

---- km2km at twc.com wrote:

=============
Ok, guys, here is the scoop.

My trusty Centaur seldom needs to be re-tubed, BUT now I have two pairs of
tubes,  one pair Taylor, and the other pair Svetlana because over time one
tube left the troika for the electronic dump.   Yes, matched tubes are the
ideal, but having a couple of pairs sitting around doing nothing for me and
no foreseeable makes me wonder.  Just what would happen if they were a mixed
troika.  That would leave one tube in the bin ready for another time.

Any ideas on dire consequences?

Many thanks,

Kris KM2KM
MERSCHROD