[TenTec] 540/Triton Transmit Audio Distortion

Bill Acito w1pa at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 4 01:41:46 EDT 2015

My restoration project continues...
My project 540 has great receive audio, but very distorted transmit audio, as if it was being overdriven. Power out into a dummy loadlooks good, but on another receiver I can hear the audio peaks of myvoice but the audio itself sounds like hash, severely distorted -- like modulated static.I find that if I move the mic away from my mouth 12-18 inches andspeak low the audio sounds acceptable on the other receiver.
I have tried a 700 hand mic and a high z Turner 350C with no difference.
What boards should I be looking at?  the SSB generator? Finals?
Bill  W1PA