[TenTec] Field day antennas

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 15 18:04:42 EDT 2015

Ralph,
Here in CenTEX we did a several year evaluation of loops for FD, using
the 75 m loop on up at 20 meters and up.  The nulls seem to fill in
sufficiently to make it a good gain omni antenna, which was all we
asked.  Our loops varied from around 200 feet around at the smallest up
to over 1000 feet one time.  That was too directional, it preformed more
like a Rhombic, as we could not get the dimensions symmetrical.

After going up in loop sizes, we settled on putting up 3 shorter sides
and connecting at corners with wire nuts. Worked great and easier to
handle.  And we only put them up about 20 feet, as that was as much
ladder as we could haul folded up, to FD.

We ran as many as 5 loops one time, in 5A.  Of course in those days we
had free run of a football practice field.

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH