[TenTec] Field day antennas

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Apr 16 02:39:26 EDT 2015

Stuart,

Were those lazy loops or vertical (plane) loops?

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Stuart
Rohre
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:05 AM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Field day antennas

Ralph,
Here in CenTEX we did a several year evaluation of loops for FD, using the
75 m loop on up at 20 meters and up.  The nulls seem to fill in sufficiently
to make it a good gain omni antenna, which was all we asked.  Our loops
varied from around 200 feet around at the smallest up to over 1000 feet one
time.  That was too directional, it preformed more like a Rhombic, as we
could not get the dimensions symmetrical.

After going up in loop sizes, we settled on putting up 3 shorter sides and
connecting at corners with wire nuts. Worked great and easier to handle.
And we only put them up about 20 feet, as that was as much ladder as we
could haul folded up, to FD.

We ran as many as 5 loops one time, in 5A.  Of course in those days we had
free run of a football practice field.

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH