[TenTec] Dirty Transmitters

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 8 22:01:19 EST 2015

On Tue,12/8/2015 4:43 PM, terry foskey via TenTec wrote:
> You should do your part and buy the best performing rigs out there and as the bar continues to get set higher, you should sell and again buy the best.

Yes, and I've done exactly that. My rigs are all K3s. I sold a pair of
FT1000MPs to buy the first one. :)
> That said, the last two sentences in the report echoed my comments, in summary -  most Hams don't care and will continue to buy what some of you classify as dirty.  I would also offer that Hams operating these "Dirty" rigs aren't violating any FCC or statutory regulations.

Oh, but they ARE in violation.  FCC Rules clearly state that hams SHALL
use the minimum bandwidth needed for the transmitted mode. ARRL Labs
tests most new rigs when they are introduced. You can find a comparison
of their measurements about 20 of those rigs here.
http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf  Their tests clearly show that the K3 is the
cleanest of all mass-produced rigs, and that the Kenwood TS590S is a
close second. The 590S is not an expensive rig, selling for about $1500
last I looked. Those other rigs -- Yaesu and ICOM, use 2-4x the
bandwidth of the K3, and they do that because they are VERY careless
about their design of CW keying!

>   So it comes down to opinions.  Opinions with the only ability to change the status quo is to talk with their pocketbooks.  I don't believe the opinions expressed in these forums will do little to sway Yaesu, which seems to be the worst offender according to commentary.

I don't place much credence in opinions, and I almost never express
opinions. When I say something about a technical issue, I am stating
facts as I have taken the time to learn them.

>   I plan to operate my dirty beasts (Yaesu and Flex) in a multi-station setup later this coming year, we will see what a menace they really are....The Yaesu FTDX 1200 was operated last year with no issues.  We will run some tests this year in an effort to identify impacts.

No need to "run some tests" unless you're going to improve on what ARRL
Labs is doing with very expensive and state of the art test gear.

73, Jim K9YC