[TenTec] Repairs

Gary - AB9M glhuber at msn.com
Sat May 2 09:34:16 EDT 2015

Several years ago I had a similar experience when I was having problems with
my Model 253 Automatic Antenna Coupler (bad vacuum relay). I could have
bought a new coupler / tuner for the cost of repair, parts, shipping, etc.
but the new replacement would have either been manual if TenTec or NOT
TenTec  if automatic. Given I had built a band decoder for the 253 to work
with my OMNI-VII and Titan-425, I chose to spend over $600 on a piece of
equipment purchased for $1k in 1991.

Before telling TenTec that I wanted them to order the new replacement vacuum
relay, I considered the 15 plus years of problem free service, the quality
of materials, etc of my model 253 versus the cost of and potential problems
of a new auto-tuner by another manufacturer; I decided that repairing the
253 with a new vacuum relay by the same manufacturer, same specs, etc, would
be MY best choice.

73 & DX,

Gary - AB9M