[TenTec] Repairs

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Sat May 2 15:34:57 EDT 2015

Back when I worked for a Motorola Service Depot, the Big M would charge
$65 an hour for my services.  As, I recall, I was paid about $7 an
hour.  This was in 1980.  So, since the value of the currency has been
dropped by at least 75% since then, I really don't think that Ten Tec is
out of line on their service charges.

What it boils down to, is how much does this old equipment really mean
to me?  I have spent quite a bit of money on getting my Corsair II, and
my Argonaut II, serviced at the factory, and have done so because I
really like these older radios.  This has not prevented me from buying a
new Argonaut VI, and Omni VII.  Try getting factory service for a decade
old Japanese radio, even one like the Icom 706, of which millions were
made.  When I had a Kenwood TS-790A VHF/UHF multi-mode radio, it was no
longer being serviced by the factory. The ALC was acting up on SSB, and
so I took it up to a prominent Wisconsin store's service department.
Their tech (obviously not Miles) kept keying it on FM, and said that
there was no problem. So, I paid the bill, and let a local shop fix it.
It was a bad diode on the ALC board.

Product life cycles keep getting shorter, but I fully expect that my
more recently purchased Ten Tec equipment will still provide me with
more than satisfactory service for many more years.

Steve WA9JML