[TenTec] TT Synthesizer Accuracy (Omni VII)

demerson 74010.2230 at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 13 15:59:42 EST 2015

     I have checked my Omni VII receiver against all available WWV and
CHU frequencies between 2.5 and 25 MHz.. The frequency error of the Omni
VII is within spec, but I believe could be reduced. Plotting the
frequency errors against frequency, there is an excellent straight line.
The slope of this line can be reduced by adjusting the internal 20 MHz
frequency standard in the Omni VII, as expected.  However, besides the
slope of the error vs. frequency line, there is a constant and stable
zero offset of some 4 Hz on the frequency error plot, which is
independent of receiver frequency and which cannot be removed by
adjusting the 20 MHz standard.

   There must be some other oscillator within the Omni VII responsible
for this small offset - perhaps even the A/D converter clock. Does
anyone know what other oscillator there is in the Omni VII that is not
locked to the internal 20 MHz standard?  Is it possible to adjust it?
Although my Omni VII frequencies are within spec, I am still curious.
                 Thanks,
                     73
                         Darrel, aa7fv.