[TenTec] TT Repair

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Mon Oct 12 10:33:34 EDT 2015

Thank you for clearing the air John!

I sent in my Argonaut II to Paul Clinton and his crew a while back. Some
of the pots are getting a bit scratchy, and its display backlight
oscillator circuit is increasingly intermittent.  It also could use an
alignment.  Paul told me that the repairs could easily cost more than
the radio is worth.  So we discussed this a bit.  I really don't care
much about how much money someone else is willing to pay for it.  I care
about how much it is worth to me.  After reading the QST hatchet job
review on the Argo II and Delta II radios, I realized that I have a
really good one, and I have found that it is not only a fun radio on HF,
but is one of the best radios for use with 6 meter transverters around.
Mine has had a lot of use, and that causes wear and tear.  So, I don't
mind spending a bunch of money on it to keep on enjoying it.  Your
Mileage May Vary...

Paul advised me to buy a matched set of final amplifier transistors
while they were still available, and I will be doing that.  I am also
using my Corsair II a lot now on HF, and have had a lot of fun with the
Argonaut 515 I bought from a list member.  Eventually these will wear
out, but so will I.

73,

Steve WA9JML