[TenTec] which power supply setup?

Lee lee at wa3fiy.com
Fri Aug 19 05:41:55 EDT 2016

denton sprague wrote:

"wonder if there is a conversion factor going from farads to amp-hours?
one of my pet on line research is on those super capacitors and at which
point they can have the storage capacity of a sealed lead acid battery."

  and Spencer replied:

"here is a link to a 2000F capacitor

http://www.koldban.com/Kapower_Specifications_s/29.htm"

My reply:

Super caps  have a long way to go to reach the storage capacity of a SLA
battery.  The KApower super cap (and other super caps) have very high
pulse power ratings but very low storage capacity.

Using the relationship IT = EC we can do a quick analysis to see what I
mean.  I - current in amps, T - time in seconds, E - voltage change in
volts and C - capacitance in farads.

To keep things simple I like to use what I call a " first
approximation".  We'll use an Argonaut VI to keep the discussion Ten-Tec
  :-)   Receive current 0.5 amps and allowable voltage change 14 volts to
10 volts or 4 volts change.

So....the question is how long will a 2000F capacitor run an Argonaut on
receive?

Using T = EC/I,   T = (4 * 2000)/0.5  which results in 16000 seconds run
time.  In hours that is 4.4 hours from a 62 pound "battery" in a 1329
cubic inch package at who knows how much cost!  Transmit at 10 watts cw
will require approximately 5 times as much current so we reduce the run
time to 4.4 / 5 or 0.9 hours key down!  For comparison, a LiFePO4 6 Ah
12 volt battery weighing 1.4 pounds in a 26 cubic inch package and
costing $80 would run the Argonaut on receive for 12 hours and 2.4 hours
key down CW transmit.  A SLA would reduce that cost considerably but
would be larger and heavier.   I've not considered the 30mA self
discharge rate for the KApower capacitor.  Let's do that.  T = (4 *
2000)/0.030 = 267,000 seconds or 74 hours!

Super caps have come a long way but still have a long way to go to come
anywhere near the performance of a rechargeable battery for powering our
rigs.  Doubt it will happen in my lifetime (I'm 73) if ever.  But there
is a place for super caps in short term/high current applications.

73 all,

-Lee-
WA3FIY