[TenTec] I'm old but I'm slow....

John Farler k4avx1 at windstream.net
Thu Jan 14 12:48:11 EST 2016

Several months ago, on the Ten Tec list, I told about a ham who has
almost lost his
sight, and asked for parts to fix an old 540 for him to use, since it
has only a
few knobs, and should be easy to use.  He had a Tech license for 19 years
and got the general and extra within a year and said he wanted to upgrade
while he could still study with just a big magnifying glass.
  He didn't have a lot of moneyfor a new rig, either, so I had an old 540
but it didn't transmit, and needed new finals and drivers at least.

To get to the point, two hams who are on both the TT and QRP-l lists came
to the rescue.Mike Bryce
<http://www.theheathkitshop.com/page12/index.html>,  WB8VGE, offered to
do the repairs for free,
and K4ZM, Jim Younce, offered the needed parts gratis.  Together
they got the rig going and aligned, and David Pierce, KE4OZS, is now
  enjoying it.

Please excuse my slowness in bringing this up to show the real spirit
on the Ten Tec List as well as the QRP-L.  These two really exemplify
the Amateur Radio Spirit of being very helpful.

One reason it has taken me so long is that I wanted to put the story
on my webpage, and you can see more info atk4avx.net
<http://home.windstream.net/johnfarler/KMARC/david.html>.  You may
want to backup from this and look at a story written by my mentor,
W4JDU, about his experience in WW2, during the Battle of Midway.

Thanks again to Mike and Jim for their work and generosity.  It is
greatly appreciated.

73,
John Farler, K4AVX
k4avx1 at windstream.net