[TenTec] OT: Question to the group -tuner and dipoles

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 18 18:02:17 EDT 2016

Surprisingly, we found the ground losses to NOT affect adversely our use
of 100 watt transmitters at Field Days for NVIS to our target areas in
state of TX and nearby states.  The highest we have used NVIS antenna on
75m SSB, was 20 feet at Apex of dipole and legs as inverted vee, down to
8 feet.  And for FD bonus points we reduced power to 5 watts SSB for the
needed number of contacts.

Even more of a surprise was with good sunspot conditions, we saw night
propagation with low noise on signals emanating from the NW coast areas
of OR and WA.  From two different FD locations in subsequent years, we
enjoyed late night coast to TX contacts on 75m.  We believe this is our
signals intercepting a duct which carried them west to where they left
the duct after making it over the mountains to Eastern WA, for example.

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH