[TenTec] ALE, WINLINK, NTSD with Paragon?

Bwana Bob wb2vuf at verizon.net
Sun Jul 31 17:17:28 EDT 2016

Is anyone running HF ALE (Automatic Link Establishment), WINLINK or NTSD
(NTS-digital) with a Paragon?

I think it's possible, but I'm concerned about frequency accuracy and
stability, since the Paragon is an old design with separate BFO,
carrier, and synthesizer oscillators, none of which are TCXO or OCXO.

Also, I don't have the RS-232 interface/control card, so the Paragon
would not be able to scan frequencies. The R-232 card is, of course,
extremely scarce. I don' think single-frequency ALE would be too much of
a handicap, though I studied the schematic today and I think that it is
possible to add a couple of simple logic chips on a little vector board
to simulate the scan and clear keyboard buttons.

Any experiences or ideas to share?

Thanks.

73,

Bob WB2VUF