[TenTec] My Argonaut II Came Back From the Factory Today

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Tue May 10 20:33:29 EDT 2016

Thank you for clarifying this for me, John.  I put the rig on the air
yesterday, and it acts like a new radio.  I am very happy with the
quality of the repair.  I had no idea when I sent it in that it was
going to be caught up in a corporate transition.  I realized that the
chances of Ten Tec having the necessary repair pots was far higher than
would be the case in most other repair services.

I used to have a Kenwood TS-790A vhf/uhf multimode transceiver. It was a
top of the line rig, and was a bit newer than the Argonaut II.  Kenwood
no longer services them, and a prominent regional vendor did not know
how to test for ALC action on SSB. They kept keying it on FM, and saying
that it worked fine.  One of my local 2-way techs fixed it for me.  It
was a defective diode. But as we are seeing, such things as integrated
circuits and processor chips have an increasingly short production
lifespan. So, try getting even a 10 year old radio from a foreign vendor
fixed by the importer.  I donated it after it was fixed to a friend of
mine who just got his license.

I read on this list that newer radios were getting repaired and shipped
back, so I knew it was a matter of time before mine got done, too.  I am
just delighted that they will work on their legacy products, parts
permitting.  And I think that the price I paid was very reasonable.  I
have had a great time with this radio since I bought it from AES many
years ago.  Now, it is working fine again, and I am looking forward to
enjoying it for a long time.

73,

Steve WA9JML