[TenTec] Fiberglass poles?

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Nov 6 03:06:40 EST 2016

Jim broke the cardinal rule when he erected the antenna:
He drilled a hole near the bottom of the pole and it broke at the hole.
NEVER DRILL A HOLE in these poles.

We have about 10,000 happy users of these poles, and then there is Jim.

Not a day goes by that we don't sell at least one of these poles in our
European shop AND in our US shop (W4PA).
Spiderpoles have been sold into over 130 countries.

Almost every major DX-pedition takes Spiderbeam fiberglass poles along for
their antennas.
They are not taking Jacklites.

In the past few years, several major DX-peditions have used Spiderbeam poles
exclusively for all of their antennas.  100% of their antennas were built on
these poles.  Besides the Spiderbeam (wire beam), Vertical-Dipole-Arrays
were used instead of traditional aluminum horizontal beams.  This saved
enormously on shipping cost to the islands.

But if you use them, please follow the manufacturer's directions, regardless
of how much you think you know about poles and antennas.

BTW, Jim's broken segment was replaced for free, including shipping cost.
I don't mind him telling hundreds of people at PACIFICON about his broke
pole but I sure wish he would at least say that it was fixed for free.

I have personally used fiberglass poles for 35 years now.  I have had them
on mountain tops, and ocean sides, all over Europe.  I have used several
brands (pre-Spiderbeam) and broken several poles.  I have been using
Spiderbeam poles myself for 15 years and I have never broken one.

You will find all kinds of tips about how to properly deploy fiberglass
poles (including how to extend them without breaking them - JIM) on my web
site, here:
http://www.dj0ip.de/spiderbeam/fiberglass-spiderpole/

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)