[TenTec] Fiberglass poles?

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Sun Nov 6 09:29:40 EST 2016

As it happens, I have both Spiderpoles and a 31' Jackite.  As the noted philosopher Yogi Berra might say, "their similarities are different."

For one thing, the 12M Spiderpole is longer, which means it is taller, too (for you Aggies out there!).  The Jackite is not quite 10M.  The Spiderpole is heavier, heavier duty, too.  The dark green Jackite is slim, almost unnoticeable from a distance, a good choice for appearance sensitive locations.

If you intend a permanent installation, the Spiderpole is probably the better choice, especially if you need the height.  I hasten to say that the Jackite mast I used in a homebrew S9v31 with Petlowaney coils was entirely satisfactory in a year and a half or so.  I took it out of service to put up something else, but the mast is in good condition and will be used again.  The Jackite does not require guying, but can be.  The 10M Spiderpole should be guyed using the nylon webbing they sell, and parachute cord.

Neither is particularly suited for horizontal loads, at least at the full height.  The top tube on both is too flimsy.  I originally bought 2 Spider poles to use in a horizontal loop, but there is no way these would survive with that kind of strain.  For horizontal antennas, a much better choice is offered by Max Gain Systems.  I have a 32' mast from Max Gain and a couple of the 38' masts.  These are considerably heavier than the Jackite and the Spiderpole.  They need parachute cord guying at several points.    I've used them for dipoles very satisfactorily.

A Spiderpole costs $140 with clamp set and guy ring.  The Max Gain 38' is $170 including the clamps and guy rings, and the 32' is $120.  A Jackite 31' is $80.

As often the case, which is best depends on what you want to do.  Few of us would happily tote a Max Gain mast very far from the car on a SOTA trek, but a Jackite mast would be less objectionable.  If you want a loop, dipole, etc. Max Gain is the only choice.

73 Jim Allen W6OGC

Sent from my iPad