[TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Sep 11 04:49:00 EDT 2016

Gary,

You bring up a couple of very good points which I would like to address, but it is not exactly in line with the subject line.  I will start two new threads:

1.  16-bit dynamic range
2.  IP3 and receiver performance

That way people can choose to follow or delete without reading.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Gary J FollettDukes HiFi
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2016 6:15 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

Well, for years I have followed the listings at Sherwood, and, not seeing the explanation you presented on the site, drew what may be an erroneous conclusion. I do recall, however, his rather strident statement that IP3 is the most important trait in receiver performance which is why the radios are listed in the order in which they are listed, based only on close in IP3.

The very reason I began to question the validity of this list was that SDR radios, which have NO mixers, began to get such high rankings for a rating that has no relevance whatsoever for an SDR. It matters not whether folks have been saying for years that IP3 is irrelevant for SDR’s when the IP3 ratings for SDR’s keep right on coming.

The credibility gap arises when this pointless ranking continues in full knowledge of its worthless value in sorting SDR’s or in comparing them against good heterodyning radios.

Regarding the Flex 6500 and 6700 and front end filters, I had never had either in my hands but the high performance ratings these radios consistently get “on air” told me that they HAD to have such filters. With a 16 bit A to D, such excellent performance would not be possible without band limiting filters.

Regarding the S9+80 dB clip point, is that in band or out-of-band? That’s a lot of signal dynamic range for a 16 bit A to D. The audiophiles want to talk to you about that… Even the most optimistic protagonists of massive oversampling (in audio applications) only claim 106 dB signal dynamic range as fruit of their labor. How is it that a 16 bit A to D can now handle a dynamic range of 132 dB (in band)?

Massive oversampling and narrow output filtering does, as other have said, improve the NOISE dynamic range. I see no explanation describing how anything can deliver 132 dB SIGNAL dynamic range with 16 bits…

I’m not trying to be difficult, I am only trying to understand how this can work.

The reason this is relevant for this reflector is that the next Ten Tec radio (if there ever is one) will, as others have said, almost certainly be a DSP radio with direct sampling. Thus, the more we understand about this DSP process, the better prepared we shall all be to make value judgements prior to plunking down $3000 or more for the new set.

Since I still don’t know how one could offer or claim to offer 132 dB SIGNAL dynamic range with a 16 bit A to D, I obviously do not understand this topic well enough and seek to learn from those who do.

Again, stay away from NOISE dynamic range, I get that. We did in fact enjoy very radical signal to noise improvement in chemical analysis spectrometers via signal averaging, but this form of “DSP" required repetitive and repeatable signals. With this method, and enough scans, you could take a signal to noise ratio less than unity and produce spectra with signal to noise better than 20 dB or so, if you waited long enough. Radio signals are not that way.

I am not being critical, I am just trying to learn when something does not agree with what I learned about these things 40 years ago.

Gary

W0DVN