[TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

Barry N1EU barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 06:23:54 EDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <
dukeshifi at comcast.net> wrote:

> Regarding the S9+80 dB clip point, is that in band or out-of-band? That’s
> a lot of signal dynamic range for a 16 bit A to D. The audiophiles want to
> talk to you about that… Even the most optimistic protagonists of massive
> oversampling (in audio applications) only claim 106 dB signal dynamic range
> as fruit of their labor. How is it that a 16 bit A to D can now handle a
> dynamic range of 132 dB (in band)?

When I owned the ANAN-100D, I did some testing and s9+80dB is exactly what
I found to be the ADC overload point with this 16-bit radio as well.  I
believe this was with a 10dB preamp (non-defeatable) and without
attenuation.

> The reason this is relevant for this reflector is that the next Ten Tec
> radio (if there ever is one) will, as others have said, almost certainly be
> a DSP radio with direct sampling.

I don't know where you heard this.  Everything I've heard is that the next
Ten-Tec radio is going to be another hybrid with superhet front end and DSP
i.f.

73, Barry N1EU