[TenTec] Used Argo VI (539) or maybe an Argo V (516) ??

Kevin Anderson k9iua at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 12:38:51 EST 2017

I would like very much to replace my current radios, which are a pair of TT Scouts - one each of the 555 and 556 - with just one primary radio.  I'm tired of swapping modules, the lack of RF gain, the super-limited RIT, and generally noisier receivers with limited filter options. (Some people may like the Jones filter in the Scout, but I've not taken a liking to it at all.)

Although I am leaning these days more toward trying Elecraft equipment instead, I could possibly stick with Ten Tec for a few more years if a deal/opportunity came up that I just can't refuse.  I am strictly a QRP operator, and so would certainly consider the Argo VI. And at one time I lusted after an Argo V, although today it seems power hungry and long in the tooth.  But I have no idea what either costs these days on the used market, nor have I seen or used either radio in person.

Any great deals out there on a used 539 or 516 rig that I can't refuse?  What does either model sell for as used these days?  (If the Argo VI, it would need to include the matching hand microphone since the connector is different than for my Scouts; for an Argo V, the microphone could be optional since I could reuse one of Scout microphones.)

I'm sure a comparison of a Scout to an Argo VI is likely an hamburger to steak comparison, and that I will like the improvement. What keeps me from just going that route is somewhat a concern over the future of the company, and more-so my possibly my wanting a radio that has more options for portability (and particularly lower battery consumption) than the Argo VI. This and my overall limit in budget (strictly $1000 or less, preferably less) that means just one replacement radio for going forward.  And, no, I am not looking for an Omni VI or other older radio, not even the old Argonauts, that might be in my price range.

FYI - Assuming I like the new rig I end up buying, I will then have two Scouts to also sell, including all modules except for 160 meters for one of the radios and 40/20/15/10 to sell with the other, plus a brand-new/never-used boxed mobile mount for the Scout. Both Scouts have been solid radios without any of the frequency drift issues that some have seen. These radios have served me well, for sixteen years in the case of the 555 and about 10 or so for the 556. A trade might be a consideration (you never know), although that sounds like a step backwards for whomever requests that - maybe someone has a hankering to collect a Scout or two.

Anyone able to tempt me? Or am I unrealistically dreaming?

Cheers/73,
Kevin, K9IUA