[TenTec] Omni VI+

MadScientist1948 dukeshifi at comcast.net
Tue Apr 3 11:10:50 EDT 2018

The DSP would not cause your problem as described. If the DSP were dead, you would get no audio and no noise.

First make sure you are not selecting a filter that is not present in the radio. The reset should have corrected for any errant selections but make sure anyway.

Then remove the bottom inner cover. Touch the crystal filter pins with a long piece of wire which will act as a noise antenna.

Touching the pins of the filters on both the 6.3 MHz board and the 9 MHz board should produce very noticeable noise increase when you touch them. Only two pins will produce noise, the others are ground pins.

Once you determine if you get noise all the way back to the input of the 9 MHz board main crystal filter, remove the TMP cable from connector 25 and poke your noise antenna wire in there. If you get no noise at this point, even though you got noise at the 9 MHz filter input, likely your local oscillator is not reaching the front end board.

Repot back on your tests and we’ll go from there to troubleshoot the Local Oscillator.

Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

Gary