[TenTec] Audio improvements on Argonaut VI

Rick at dj0ip.de Rick at dj0ip.de
Tue Aug 21 02:52:40 EDT 2018

GM Reed,

Your evaluation is correct, but...
Still, I maintain that every comparison is fair.

If one rig costs $10K and the other costs only $800, it's interesting to me to know what all I get for the extra $9.2K.
Then I can evaluate my options and make a decision based on my personal needs.
And this decision, though perhaps right for me, doesn't mean it's right for everyone else.

As for the noise of a true mechanical VFO vs. the digital;  it's fair to point that out, but then one must ask the fair question, "so what?"
Do these week pulsing noises really disturb the radio's ability to pull in the weak signals?

If not, then it really doesn't matter, as long as there is some other benefit from a digital VFO . . . which of course there is, or rather "are", because there are lots of benefits to most of us.  And BTW, when tuning for weak signals (DX) we tune very slowly and then we don't hear these pulsing noises, anyway!

On the other hand, if these benefits don't matter to someone, then that's their personal interpretation and they may very well choose the mechanical VFO over the digital VFO.

Without making the comparison, we would not know the differences and not be able to make our own personal decisions based on our own discrete needs.
But we must make the decisions when consideration information in its full context, not just short data bursts.
My problem is when people take single points out of context and then make a big deal out of them!

EXAMPLE:  "It's raining today."
> Mary is disappointed, says that's bad because she wanted to go to the beach.
> John is happy, says that's good because he's a farmer and his crops urgently need the rain.
Without knowing the context, we have no idea whether the rainy day is good or bad, or if it even matters.
It's raining today somewhere out over the mid-Atlantic.  So what?  What does that matter to me?

Like I said, if we only had some sunspots, we would have better things to talk about! (hi)

73,
Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)