[TenTec] Audio improvements on Argonaut VI

Carlos carlos.peco at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 03:24:02 EDT 2018

Hi,

I think that most of you are not understanding the question.

- I bought a (lovely) Argonaut VI.
- The received audio sounds distorted, it improves with headphones.
- To get a feeling of the noise generated (solely) by the audio chain I
minimize any noise generated by the RF/DSP chain by:

  - disconnecting the antenna
  - taking RF Gain to the minimum

- I still hear a hiss, even worse than the Corsair II hiss in the same
conditions, so:

   - it is a known design feature and can be improved (like the Corsair
II), or
   - I have something damaged.

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

About the clicking noise when turning the dial: I'm just asking if it can
be improved.

73,
Carlos VK1EA

On Monday, August 20, 2018, Carlos <carlos.peco at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought an Argonaut VI and got disappointed with the received audio
(when comparing it with a Corsair II).

> When monitoring with headphones it improves a lot, but there is some hiss
in the background, even without antenna and the RF gain all the way to the
left.

> Do you guys think that I might have a damaged audio amplifier? Is there
an easy way to improve the received audio with the in-built speaker?
PBT/BW/NR settings are OK, I even performed a factory reset.

> Using headphones, I can hear a weak pulsing noise when rotating the
frequency encoder. Is there a way to eliminate that ?