[TenTec] LONG: Audio improvements on Argonaut VI

Bill Cotter n4lg at qx.net
Tue Aug 21 08:06:31 EDT 2018

Carlos,

I recently repaired a Delta 580 that had no audio output.
Inspection found that the LM-383 had a corner blown off. I ordered
a couple of the LM-383 AF amps and replaced the defective one. The
audio stage worked, but with a lot of hiss, AND it burned my finger
to the touch.

I put a scope on the AF output and saw that it was oscillating
around 100kHz. All the components surrounding the amp tested good
(cap values OK, low ESR, no leakage), so I dug out the LM-383 data
sheet. Right away it was clear that TenTec had deviated
considerable from the recommended circuit.

The U1 feedback loop capacitor C5 installed was a 4.7uF and
National recommended a 470uF, so I changed it to the recommended
value of 470uF. Also, TenTec had only installed C4 a .22uF mylar,
when national called for the output stabilizer pair of a 0.2uF and
a 1-ohm resistor in series. I added the resistor. The 100kHz
oscillation went away, and the amp was dead quiet with the AF gain
all the way down. Unfortunately, with the gain up the OP amp noise
from the preceding stages came into play.

Lesson learned, TenTec took a shortcut to save a few cents on
components while deviating from the manufacturer's recommendations.
I had a second Delta 580 on the bench for a PTO rebuild, and it did
not have the AF problem as the first Delta. Go figure, sometime you
get away with things, sometimes you don't. I have seen these AF
output issues in the Corsair-I series as well.

My suggestion is to examine the Argonaut schematics for the audio
chain, and look to the manufactures recommendations. Did TenTec
follow these recommendations, or are there compromises that may
come into play? Also, use a scope or spectrum analyzer to see the
nature of the hiss - is it wideband or does it have specific
spectral components?

73 Bill N4LG