[TenTec] ten tec omni 6 plus

MadScientist dukeshifi at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 10:12:22 EDT 2018

Does the fault occur on all bands? Does the frequency shown on the display change when you tune the VFO knob?

The display in the Omni VI is not a counter. It simply reads the data going to the two PLL’s and displays a number that represents what the radio’s frequency SHOULD be, not what it actually is.

This suggests that there is an issue with data from the CPU board, because that is the source of the digital information that appears on the display. The display or its wiring could be at fault.

You state that the radio still can hear WWV on 10 MHz. This suggests that the two PLL’s are working and are stable enough to produce the local oscillator to the first mixer.

The CPU data also selects all of the LC filters that select the band at the front end of the receiver.

However, this same data also selects the proper crystal for a given band on the LO board so there is room for confusion here.

Since your CPU is indeed running, as evidenced by the fact that you can tune in WWV, I would start looking for bad connectors between the CPU board and the display, between the CPU and the two filter boards (not the crystal filters, the LPF and BPF). These cables (with the white wires) were prone to fail and they are an easy fix.

I have dozens of known-good one so no need to worry if you need one or more.

Gary

W0DVN