[TenTec] ten tec omni 6 plus

Bob McGraw K4TAX rmcgraw at blomand.net
Fri Aug 31 10:18:04 EDT 2018

Lee:

Well a Tentec 563 is indeed an Omni VI, and is not a Plus.  If the
option 3 has been added, then it is an Omni VI opt3.  That makes it
close to having the features to a Omni VI Plus and many will incorrectly
indicate that it is an Omni VI Plus.  If it is a true Omni VI Plus then
it is a model 564 and will have the Omni VI Plus on the front.

As to issues you describe.  Due to the age of the radio it is very
common for the various connectors inside to oxidize and cause
problems.   I suggest one clean each connector, male pins, with a
contact cleaner applied to a Q-Tip.  Scrub the male pins and then
exercise that connector 2 or 3 times, on and off with the female
connector.  This provides adequate wiping action to clean the both parts
of the connectors.  Do this one connector and cable at a time, being
careful not to mis-plug a connector until all have been cleaned.    This
usually correct most intermittent and other seemingly failed issues.
This includes issues with the front panel and display board.    For
this, remove the two screws on the top left and right side and the front
panel will tilt forward for easy access.

Also the external RX antenna switch is noted to cause receive issues.
Again, a good cleaning usually corrects the issue.  As a word of
caution, do not spray contact cleaner into the radio. DeOxit is my
favorite although others work as well to clean contacts.

These radios are really quite solid in performance.   Routine
maintenance and cleaning keeps them working for another 30 years.

73
Bob, K4TAX