[TenTec] TenTec] Omni VI+: low TX and RX on 12 meters

MadScientist dukeshifi at comcast.net
Sun Dec 30 14:11:45 EST 2018

Thank you Phil for reaffirming the concept that got me ejected from the Collins Folklore reflector.

Drift of circuit alignment NEVER causes 20 dB changes in performance, unless mis-alignment causes a crystal oscillator to drop out of oscillation.

Alignment of a broken radio causes troubleshooting to be confounded just as you stated Phil.

The ONLY time alignment should be done on a broken radio is as a reversible diagnostic when all else fails. By that I mean moving a given adjustment a very small amount, looking for any increase in signal downstream from that adjustment, then turning the adjustment exactly back to its original position.

This is analogous to the old technique of using a tuning wand, one end made of Ferrite, the other end of brass. Moving the brass end near a coil reduces inductance of the coil while moving the Ferrite end to the coil increases inductance. A properly aligned circuit should drop in output when you move either end of the wand nearby the coil in question.

When coils are properly shielded in a can, this becomes difficult to impossible with the old, large diameter tuning wands. Therefore the use of diagnostic reversible “alignment” performs the same task.

Caution is essential since many coil cores tend to stick when aged.

A way to overcome this difficulty is to fabricate a similar tuning wand that has a diameter small enough to enter the opening of a given can. You can substitute cold steel for the Ferrite (less effective but still useful) and of course, brass remains the material of choice for the other end and brass of all diameters is readily available from hardware and hobby stores.

You simply insert each send of the wand into the alignment opening of the coil in question, trying to prove that the coil is properly aligned by observing that output drops with insertion of either end.

This method also works very well with Collins/Drake type tuning rack coils without leaving you with a hopelessly misaligned AND broken radio.

Gary

W0DVN