[TenTec] TenTec] Omni VI+: low TX and RX on 12 meters

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 15:48:14 EST 2018

Hi Gary,

  The wand detuning technique is one I had not thought of, and is much
preferred to touching the coil slugs.  If I have to get there, it's
non-destructive and I'll definitely try that one as a diagnostic.  Will
report back.

  Many good ideas on this forum - and helpful people throughout.
Marvelous!  And if you got ejected from a reflector for cautioning people
NOT to apply the "golden screwdriver", then I'd opine that the forum was
not worth further comment.  Some people feel that studying the problem
first, without exhausting all the proper diagnostics, is somehow "inferior"
to wiggling or poking something - anything - since they feel they are
taking action.  Sadly, that action most times results in a mangled RF
chain. I've learned this from direct and painful experience in my
professional life with any circuits more complex than a Galena cat's
whisker detector.

  There's a nice anecdote in one of Richard Feynman's books where he
describes solving a problem by first studying the condition.  The observers
said "look - he gets the answer by THINKING first".  Same idea.

HNY ES 73
Phil W1PJE