[TenTec] Ten-Tec 228 vs 229 Ant Tuner

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Feb 23 18:33:51 EST 2018

On 2/23/2018 10:55 AM, Greg S via TenTec wrote:
> You mean 229 and 238, I am guessing. Latest 2 or 3 Iterations of the 238 used a turns counter for the inductor. Last one (C) has cross needle meter. Ceramic capacitor values changed slightly from the 229. The 4229 was a kit version.

Don't know the 228, but I've owned several 229s, a 4229, and several
238s. Those are quite similar, all use a dial cord to indicate position
of the rotary inductor. A major improvement was made with the 238B,
continued in the 238C, to replace the dial cord assembly with a vernier
knob. I've never seen one.

There are a few caps that tend to blow with high power and high duty
cycle (legal limit contesting), and I replaced those in the units I
owned. Thinned the herd a few years ago, keeping only one, and it sits
on a shelf in my storage room.

73, Jim K9YC