[TenTec] Eagle minor woes

John Bescher n4dxi at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 17:56:05 EDT 2018

Mike,

I'm no expert but I have an Eagle and it has never let me down.  Then again, 16 hours straight, I'd be malfunctioning, not only the transceiver.

Were you using a digital mode that has long duty cycles?  As a preventative measure, why not direct an external fan on the transceiver?  Noisy, yes, but maybe that will eliminate the timeouts.  I'd also check the vents on the Eagle are clear and non-blocked by any external gear. Yes, I know, obvious, but a lot of problems are due to obvious reasons.

Lastly, yes, the behavior you mentioned could be caused by excessive heat to the Eagle's boards but it could also happen due  to RF entering the transceiver.

If this continues, not a good sign, as  you know, excessive heat can damage your transceiver.  When is the next 16 plus  hour contest for you?

Good luck.  The Eagle is a fine transceiver.  I'm sad Tentec is no longer producing Amateur Radio products.

73....John Bescher, N4DXI