[TenTec] I need help flashing Orion firmware

Bob McGraw K4TAX rmcgraw at blomand.net
Thu Jun 14 16:04:52 EDT 2018

Here is what I have as provided by Tentec:

Updating the FLASH FIRMWARE on Ten-Tec Orion Refer to "74474
Orion565n566 User Manual Addendum V3 Firmware.pdf" for more details on
Version 3 firmware, and the RAM Clear and Master Reset sequences.

1) Turn Transceiver OFF. 2) Connect a PC to the transceiver using the
appropriate cable.

3) Turn the Transceiver ON while holding down the USER2 button. Wait for
display to indicate "Flash Update Mode"

4) Start the Update program Windows "START" "All Programs" "Ten-Tec"
"OrionII Firmware Update" "OrionII Firmware Update"

5) Choose SETUP under the SETTINGS menu to then select the COM port to
which the Transceiver is attached. And select OK.

6) Choose UPDATE under the PROCESS menu.

7) Select the RUF file under the Process Menu.

8) The program will update the radio and report any errors encountered.
During the update process the Orion screen will indicate the current
line being processed.

9) A RAM Clear and Master Reset MUST be performed when transitioning
between V1/V2/V3 firmware.

One issue which can cause failure or incomplete installation is the USB
to RS232 cable/converter.   Some work, some don', some appear to work
but don't.   The best way is to install from a computer which has a real
RS-232 port, thus only a RS-232 cable is needed. Otherwise, if the
computer does not have a RS-232 port but only USB ports then a USB to
RS-232 converter/cable is required.   I have found the model RTS-03 from
R T Systems does work.

I suggest you go here https://www.tentec.com/?p=1355 to find the latest
version and download same.  The EXE files will load the firmware but
only after the Orion is setup for the update as outlined above.,

73
Bob, K4TAX