[TenTec] Carrier sliding across bands

n0dbx dlnicho at hushmail.com
Sat Nov 10 15:00:14 EST 2018

"Chirp Sounder" we called those in the navy.  I was in a reserve unit in
the early 80's attached to NCS Nea Makri Greece.  It was a 100 watt
transmitter on a vertical antenna that resembled the old AEA Isopole 2M
vertical.  The control head was 8 miles away with a CRT readout.  It
scanned from 2 MHZ and up, but I don't recall if it ran all the time or
on demand.  I do recall a toggle switch that panned the display across
the HF spectrum and gave you a rough idea of propagation.  Seems there
was a readout at the tech control center of the receive site in town and
another with the transmitters in the country.  Neat toys, but don't
think it was used all that much.  Everybody just knew you went lower
down when it got dark.

I can still hear those 100 WPM TTY printers running and smell the oil.
Wish we could get fresh caught deep fried baby squid here. Mighty tasty!

Darrel, N0DBX