[TenTec] Omni-6+ Filter Help

Ken Brown kenradiobrown at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 17:39:38 EDT 2019

Hi Jim, You're right about being able to use the N-1 and N-2 functions when
you put optional filters in those two slots on the 9 MHz IF board.

One thing to remember is that filters in 9 MHz IF do not work exactly the
same as filters on the 6.3 MHz IF. The 6.3 MHz Passband Tuning IF.

The oscillator that mixes with the 9 MHz IF to convert to 6,3 MHz, and
again back up to 9 MHz is adjustable. That is what the PBT knob does, and
it allows you to move the apparent position of the 6.3 MHz IF filter around
within the bandwidth already determined by the filters in the 9 MHz IF.
That way you can use a narrow filter and adjust it for the audio tone you
like.

The oscillator that mixes the 9 MHz output of the PBT board down to audio,
the BFO, is not adjustable (at least not from the front panel of the radio)
and so when using narrow filters in the 9 MHz IF you do not have the same
audio tone flexibility. That is why Ten-Tec used to sell more than one
version of the 9 MHz IF filters for the narrow bandwidths.

DE N6KB