[TenTec] Orion 565 Screen musings

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 23:15:16 EST 2019

Thinking I might keep my Orion a while longer my thoughts have turned to
a screen replacement.

I've read the various bits and pieces related to ways and means to
achieve this and think the option of  blue screen is quite acceptable so
in due course I will most likely go down that route. In the meantime
however I wonder about ways to resurrect the existing screen to some
degree.

Has anyone, perhaps someone who has already replaced the original
screen, done any work to understand the reason for the screen dimming
and possible ways to combat it? My screen, I presume like most, has
excellent contrast capabilities from total black through to completely
washed out so the problem is just the back lighting it would seem. Is
there perhaps a way to disassemble the lcd element and replace or
enhance the back lighting?

I'm loathe to do that on my current screen with no replacement on hand.
Perhaps someone has a dim but functional old display it could be tried on?

What thoughts?

Martin, HS0ZED