[TenTec] Orion

Gary Follett dukeshifi at comcast.net
Sun Oct 13 21:36:04 EDT 2019

The Ten Tec Orion manual gives you zero alignment instructions.

However, historically,Ten Tec has set a bias currents for their previous radios at 500 mA.

This was true for the Corsair, Omni V and Omni VI.

The final amplifier in the Orion is the same circuit as its predecessors so 500 mA should be a safe bet.

Of course, do then adjustment with no drive signal. The best way to ensure this is to remove the input cable to the final amp.

While Ten Tec tells you to put an ammeter in the main 12 volt supply and adjust the bias pot to minimum with the radio locked into transmit, then to increase it until you see 500 mA more than the baseline current in transmit, I prefer a different method.

I disconnect the heavy red wire to the final amplifier and put my ammeter between there and the radio. That way I am only measuring the sum of driver bias (~4 to 8 mA) and the final. By setting the final bias pot to 500 mA +8 mA -0 mA you will get  a better reading.

Gary

W0DVN