[TenTec] ATU-100: Just wondering

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Sep 20 15:31:48 EDT 2021

A little while ago, I picked up an ATU-100 automatic antenna tuner off of everyone's favorite auction site.
[ For those not familiar... this is a 100 W nominal, 150 W maximum, ATU, originally designed by N7DDC.  You can find it at, amongst other places, everyone's least favorite auction site.  It's available anywhere from a bare board, to a full kit, all the way up to a completely finished unit, complete with a small LED display ]
I'm very happy so far with the device, which is not exactly on topic with the reflector.
But I'm just wondering... and this is in no way a complaint, just wondering...
How hard would it be adapt one of these units to take the place of the near-unobtanium internal ATU that were available for the Omni VII, Eagle, and other rigs?  I know my Omni VII isn't the only one sold, back in the day, without the internal ATU.
It's not a big deal, mind you.  But it seems like it OUGHT to be something relatively simple to do... isn't it?