[TOEC] Re: [TOEC] NRAU mötet och HF contesting

Jari Jussila Jari.Jussila@oh2bu.pp.fi
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:35:45 +0300

         Janne and our Swedish friends,

         Let me give a few words to your questions: Being at the time the
President of NRAU and being responsible for the NRAU meeting at the end of
August I may be the one to give you the answers your require.

         There's really no need to be upset by any means. The NRAU meeting
did not, practically speaking, change a word in the SAC rules or
NRAU-Baltic rules but we did make clear decisions on how the rules can be
changed and we made a clear decision on that the contest managers are the
one's mainly responsible for the changes.

         Let's go deep into the meeting: NRRL from Norway had proposed
officially, that we should agree on a common wording of SAC (and
NRAU-Baltic) rules. It was found out, that there indeed was different
versions of the rules printed out on the six SAC-countries. During and
after the meeting we decided on one common set of SAC (and NRAU-Baltic)
rules. Those rules are practically speaking the rules which everyone can
find from the pages of SM3CER web pages. Now we have a clear basis for the
rules. Those rules where collected by me from the four SAC countries and
they have been sent to all SAC countries.

         The meeting agreed, that between the NRAU meetings (which are held
every third year) the contest managers of SRAL. NRRL, SSA and EDR can, if
they all agree, change the rules of SAC (and NRAU-B ..). If the contest
managers agree to change the rules and if they want it to be a permanent
change, the next NRAU meeting has to agree on them. Or ... let's say it on
other words: the Contest Managers can change the rules if they find a
concensus but the NRAU meeting can change the rules with a vote.

         At the meeting there was really just this one official proposal
from NRRL.

         As an unofficial proposal SRAL brought up the idea of SAC to be
changed to an one weekend contest of CW, SSB and mixed mode. NRRL and LA4LN
from Norway was strongly in favour of SRAL's proposal. The other leagues,
SSA, EDR, IRA, FRA, had no objections but neither were they agreeing to the
idea. As it was just an unofficial proposal, a decision could not be made
on the subject. The meeting decided, that SRAL should make a proposal on
the new rules and SRAL has to get an unanominous decision from other three
countries by the 31.12.2002. EDR proposed SRAL to do the work, as their
Contest manager OZ5WQ is very busy with the 2002 logs and as SRAL is the
organized of 2003 SAC contest. I was named to co-ordinate and supervise the
possible change of the rules.

         The decisions of the meeting was forwarded to SRAL Contest
Managers OH6LI and OH2BCI the next day after the meeting. Both have been
very active since that and they have collected the views and opinions from
the Finnish contesters trying to find the basis for the SRAL proposal of
new rules. As said, the new rules can only be implemented, if all four
Contest Managers of SRAL. SSA, EDR and NRRL agree on the. They all have to
agree on them, a vote is not possible. Jukka, OH6LI, has already started an
intense discussion with his colleques OZ5WQ, SM7NDX and LA9HW.

         The official and confirmed minutes of the meeting was published on
October 5th. That's the reason, why there's not been very much published
yet on the Scandinavian magazines.Our leagues magazines,
Radioamatööri-lehti, will publish the decisions in the November issue.

         The SSA delegation at the NRAU meeting consisted of Gunnar,
SM0SMK, the president of SSA and Anders, SM2ECL, who was in charge of the
VHF things. Gunnar was very active during the SAC discussions and he was
very good and wisely informed by Sigge, SM5KUX, who was not able to
participate the NRAU meeting. Gunnar brought up the Swedish views of SAC
very diplomatickly and eloquently and everybody was listening when Gunnar
spoke. Gunnar has the amazing ability to find an common solution to most of
the differing views. As far as I understand, the SAC views had been
thoroughly discussed in the board of SSA before the meeting and the views
of SSA dominated in some instances the discussions. Janne should be very
proud of SSA and it's way to handle the difficult situation. I know, that
it's very difficult for any swede to bring up the good work he's made.

To sum this up:
         1) No changes to SAC rules has so far been made.
         2) Somebody has to make a proposal for the discussions.
         3) The NRAU meeting decided, that SRAL should bring up a proposal
of new rules.
         4) The possible new rules has to be agreed by SRAL, NRRL, EDR and
SSA unanomiously by the 31.12.2002 to be in effect in the SAC Contest 2003.
         5) SRAL Contest Manager Jukka, OH6LI, is just about to make the
SRAL proposal to SSA, EDR and NRRL for the new rules
         6) The decision is to be made by the Contest Managers of these
countries.
'       7) SRAL is organizing SAC 2003 with rules, that have been agreed
all around Scandinavia.

         I hope this clears up some of your questions and confusion, Janne.

         Jari, OH2BU
         President of SRAL
         .