[TOEC] RE: NACs on Thursdays??? Suggestion!

Gunnar Widell (HF/ESE) gunnar.widell at ericsson.com
Thu Oct 2 15:42:42 EDT 2003

The idea of mixing 28 MHz and (70) 50Mhz is NOT a bad idea.

It will open up for HF contesters to try out "VHF-contesting" and vice versa.
It will hopefully increase the activity on both HF contesting and VHF contesting and maybe break some invisible, but existing, walls between the different "groups".

The HF people will get the opportunity to try out the "NAC-format" and the VHF people will maybe get some "blodad tand" when they experience new types of propagation on the 10m band. The activity will increase if we can "loan" HF contesters to the VHF bands, and of course vice versa. High activity = more fun?

Suggestion:

Run 28 / 50 / 70 MHz in the same evening. First Thursday sounds fine...
Do not split these bands into different evenings since then we will miss some of the idea to mix HF and VHF. Give it a YEAR in this format.

Make it a "Multi band" contest as the Micro NAC, with differences in points per band.
The results should be presented as usual, most points fist place in the list, but also a remark beside the callsign if the station was single band 28, single band 70, single band 50 or multi band...

(This could be implemented in all NAC contests with the new categories, Low Power and Multi Op)

It will be more fun for the people not having access to all these bands, to see how other stations with same limitations performed, but still listed in the same results as everyone else... Also it will encourage these people to upgrade their stations to be active on more bands.

Since this could be a great "hit" the HF-Contest managers in all NRAU countries should be involved to sponsor this and spread the word around.

I will send this to the TOEC and CCF reflectors as well. (Swedish and Finnish HF contest reflectors)

73 de Gunnar, SM3SGP