[TOEC] [CCF] SAC CW 2012 RESULTS PUBLISHED

Mikael Rytky vfr_micke at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 03:43:49 EST 2012

Hi!

Just a brief comment on SM6Z being 200 Hz off frequency limit.

-Any
 rig thats been in use for some years may have drifted 100Hz or more due
 to ageing of the frequency reference and due to lack of regular
service. A drift of 100 Hz may even occur during the contest due to generated heat. Very few of us do have the possibility to check the Transmitter
 frequency with such an accuracy. And even fewer will ever do so.

So I'm pretty sure that SM6Z just has relied on the frequency readout of the tranciever. With CAT this may have been proved. But CAT wont come to all shacks. I think its a bit harsh reducing his result for that.

A couple of suggestions, if 100 Hz slices really is the way to go:

1. SAC management should use dedicated RBN-receivers used for off-frequency-checking that are checked and calibrated regarding frequency accuracy. Today nobody knows the status of the RBN-data, any piece of junk can be behind the readings from RBN. Yes, many RBNs said the same thing, but still.

2. When 1. is implemented, a small reasonable deviation from 3510 should be allowed when reading RBN data due to the facts about our radios mentioned above.

3. When operating, keep a safe distance to 3510 if your not sure of the status of your radio.

Best regards to all
Mikael SM6VJA