[TOEC] Fw: Vad är detta?

Göran Ingemar Backman sm5sic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 21:05:19 EST 2016

Dear Mats,

Nice to hear from You. God fortsättning på det nya året.

Yes, You are right; I might have misunderstood the settings

"/S och /SA - vad är det för konstiga hemsnickrade tillägg?

OH1BGG/SA blir ju SM, Sverige i alla loggprogram och SA0 som prefix.

Inget som PTS ligger bakom i alla fall."

which in my eyes looked disrespectful.

However, if there would be any comments on the CTY files, maybe an e-mail
to AD1C Jim would be a good idea. Is it not Jim, that is taking care of the
updating of the CTY files? And I agree with You Mats, that we will show
respect to other countries, when they use special call signs to commemorate
historic events. And for a contester it is good in for instance WPX, when
there are special prefixes, because that is a new multiplier, hihi.

73 de SM5SIC/OH1SIC Göran

> [...]
> are not really active in the contests.
>
> There are many contesters that both share the interest for special calls,
> special activitites and contest. But not always those activities are
> related to contest itself - so the comment on CTY and contest programs are
> for sure relevant in my view at least.
>
> So, just to clarify - a contester might be a person that only cares about
> CTY files and contesting, but in many cases, a contester is like any other
> human being, namely interested and curious in many diverse interests.
>
> So no contradiction in that, and for sure no disprespect towards Oman,
> Finland and any other countries that choose to use special prefixes to
> commemorate historic events.
>
> 73 de Mats RM2D

>> Anybody that has been listening to the band during the last years, has
>> been able to notice the increase of special call signs and different
>> suffixes. For instance Oman and Bahrain had special call signs last years
>> when they celebrated 45 years as independent countries. I operated
>> A41OO/45, please see QRZ.com.
>>
>> The discussion above reflects what is really important for certain
>> people.
>>
>> If You live in Oman, it was really important when the country turned 45
>> years and therefore every ham in A4 could use the suffix /45 in their call
>> sign during November 2015.
>>
>> If You know about Finland, You will understand how serious the situation
>> was there 1939-1940, 1941-1944 and 1944-1945 (I am referring to the three
>> wars that Finland had during WWII, where most Swedes do not even know that
>> Finland was in three wars, not two). All families except for the immigrants
>> have older relatives that either died, were wounded or got their minds
>> seriously messed up during these wars. These are importants events in
>> Finnish history because the freedom of the country had to be paid with a
>> heavy toll. Therefore Indepence day in Finland on 6 Dec is a serious day,
>> not a carneval. Therefore the veterans are remembered even after their
>> death by a special sign on their tomb stones. Therefore using old military
>> radio equipment on 40m and 80m during Independece day 6 Dec and
>> during Field Marshal Mannerheim day 4 June  with the suffixes /SA and /S is
>> something with meaning to the people of Finland.
>>
>> But if You are only interested in N1MM and CTY files, then the most
>> important thing will be to get Your program to run without problems. Your
>> whole world is focused on a contest software and its files. It makes sence
>> to me, but I feel sorry for these poor soles, that are mentally deprived
>> from the rest of the world. After all, there are more important things than
>> computer programs and country files
>>

>> 73 de SM5SIC/OH1SIC Göran

>>> Hi Jari,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>> I also tried to add some calls into N1MM+ and DX4WIN. Both programs
>>> updated with fresh CTY.dat today.
>>>
>>> N1MM+ ver.1.0.5458.0 (Contest log program):

>>> OH2BU/SA = Sweden
>>> S/OH2BU = Unknown country
>>> SA/OH2BU = Sweden
>>>
>>> OH1BGG/S = Unknown country
>>> OH1BGG/SA = Sweden
>>> S/OH1BGG = Unknown country
>>> SA/OH1BGG = Sweden
>>>
>>> DX4WIN ver. 8.05 (Ordinary log program):
>>>
>>> OH2BU/S = Unknown country
>>> OH2BU/SA = Sweden
>>> S/OH2BU = Unknown country
>>> SA/OH2BU = Sweden