TopBand: Heard Island Press Release-Dec 20, 1996

MAllphin@aol.com MAllphin@aol.com
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:52:55 -0500

          WE INVITE ALL TO JOIN THE HEARD EXPEDITION TEAM!

As we began planning this DXpedition several years ago, we always intended it

to be an event for you, our DX audience. Our objective was to satisfy your
need for contacts and make sure that our operation was enjoyable for all
concerned. In that spirit, we invite you to join the Heard expedition team on
the internet:

---->                   The Heard reflector is now online!

The Heard expedition's reflector will be the main forum in which you, our
audience, can participate in our expedition. Through the reflector, you will
be able to pass us your feedback. It will be the focal point for all updates
and feedback coming from the expedition team on the island. And.. our pilot
stations will broadcast general info on the island, the environment, our
setup, the team, the challenges we are encountering, and other information of
interest.

In addition, the reflector will cater to free flow discussions between
yourselves and the expedition's pilots. Tips, recommendations, questions and
answers, anything related to the Heard expedition are proper topics for the
Heard reflector!

Due to the limited time and bandwidth available, the expedition members on
the island will not be on the reflector. All information to and from the
island will be channeled through the pilot stations. It will be the ONLY
reflector on which our pilot stations will be engaged in discussions
concerning the operation.

With only a few days to go before the first team leaves for Reunion Island,
we urge you to
join the expedition team today. Come on, do it now, make this YOUR event!
 Here's how to do it!

---->           Subscribe to the Heard reflector in 2 steps:

     1.  send an Email to:

                   heard-request@ve7tcp.ampr.org

          put in the body:   subscribe

     2.  Just to make sure that it is YOU who are subscribing, you will get a
verification
          reply, asking for a confirmation. As specified in that reply,

                   send an email to:

                         listserv@ve7tcp.ampr.org

          and put in the body the exact key sentence as you found it in the
reply,
          which looks like:

	           auth cefd73bb subscribe heard your_name <your email address>

          reproduce that sentence EXACTLY as found in the verification reply.

 It is as simple as that! We hope to see you all on the Heard reflector very
soon!

By the way, gracious thanks to Lyndon, VE7TCP for his technical support.

 Here is a list of THE PILOT STATIONS:

There are 5 pilot stations in the US, 1 in Europe and 1 in Japan. They will
ensure optimum communication and feedback between the DX-community and the
Heard Island Dxpedition.

The US-pilots (with addresses on E-mail, PBBS and DX-cluster) are:

USA North East, North America (except USA), South America:
N1DG (ex WB2DND) - Don Greenbaum
E-mail: n1dg@aurumtel.com
PBBS: N1DG@NS1N.MA.USA.NA
DX-Cluster: K1AJ