TopBand: Another Beverage Question.

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 18:50:45 -0500

K4WA wrote:

>Lew, I've tried my 700' +/- beverage terminated and (mostly inadvertently)
>unterminated.  I must say it shows very little improvement to the SW when
>unterminated, and the SW gain appears to be offset by degradation in the
>performance to the NE (the direction it's intended to operate).  I'm adding
>a second wire with a push-pull transformer box to make it truly
>bi-directional.  I hope that works better.

Steve, I observed exactly what you described when I've tried unterminating
Beverages.  W8JI made some interesting measurements on signal attenuation
in 500 foot Beverages and found the signals to be severely attenuated by
the time they went that far.  For the signal off the back of a 700 foot
Beverage to be reflected back to the input it travels 1400 feet! This might
explain why unterminated Beverages don't seem to work very well for signals
off their backside.  Tom might have some comments on this.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV