TopBand: J38DF on 160

Mike Devereux mikedev@interalpha.co.uk
Wed, 02 Oct 1996 21:53:50 -0700

Garry Shapiro wrote:

> dj7aa wrote:
> >
> > Hello guys, Sigi J38DF is now the second night on 160.
> > First night he was very strong, but has no copy on EU, tonite he is much
> > weeker here. But the main problem, his TX QRG is qrming by an very strong
> > periodical beacon here. May be somone there can tell them, better to move at
> > 1822.5 ore 1828.0, much clearer her.
> > Hope to here them next night better.
> > 73 Wil
>
> Wil:
>
> I listened for him from our sunset near 0145. J38DF came up somewhere
> around 0215 +/- and immediately called for EU. At first, he was
> unsuccessful, but between 0230 and 0245 (times VERY approximate) he did
> work several Euros, including G3SE? (about four times) and several
> Germans, before surrendering to the insistence of North American
> callers. He did call for EU on several occasions.
>
> His QSB signal again ranged from very Q5 to deep in the noise. I logged
> him at 0300. Shortly thereafter, there was an operator change to J38FR,
> whose style is very different---faster, with almost no pause to listen
> between CQ's. FR stayed on 160 quite a long time--past 0400Z.
>
> I am sure the W4/W5 stations copy him a lot better. Perhaps one of them
> can pass on your request, or you can do so yourself on the higher bands.
>
> Good luck.
> --
> Garry Shapiro, NI6T
> Editor, The DXer
> newsletter of the Northern California DX Club
> Hi Gang,

I was the G3 that had several goes at J38DF. As Wil said,the J38 was sat
right on top of a beacon here in EU and it was really difficult to copy
him over the beacon qrm. I desperately needed him for a new country and
did not get my report 100% the first time. Luckily he was very
co-operative and tried several times untill we made a genuine two way
exchange and good qso.
I hope for other EU he can be made to move HF a KHz or so.

73's  MIKE G3SED