TopBand: Bev and ts930s

Eric Gustafson n7cl@sparx.mmsi.com
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 08:38:17 -0700

 >Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 07:29:34 -0400 (EDT)
 >Date-Warning: Date header was inserted by InfoAve.Net
 >From: Bill Tippett <btippett@ctc.net>

 >WB5VZL is correct about this.  If you look at your TS-930 manual, it
 >shows a schematic of the transverter connections that need to be made.
 >A word of CAUTION:  Do not use just any DIN connector.  Get the connector
 >from Kenwood.  I first tried this with a non-Kenwood connector and
 >destroyed the female receptacle in the radio.  The Kenwood connector works
 >fine (it manually activates a relay when you insert it in addition to making
 >the pin connections) but, for some reason, non-Kenwood connectors will
 >damage the receptacle.  So much for so-called "Standard DIN connectors!"

Snip.....

The problem is not that the DIN connector standard has been violated.  It
is that there are two different pin spacings for 8 pin connectors within
the DIN standard.  You must get the standard connector with the correct
angular alignment for the pins of the receptacle that you are trying to
mate with.  This is not a Kenwood special connector.  They simply chose to
use the connector which has been less used by others.

73,  Eric  N7CL

Eric Gustafson  N7CL                  | The mountains are high and the Emperor
6730 S. Old Spanish Trail             | is far away.
Tucson, AZ 85747                      |
INTERNET: n7cl@mmsi.com		      | if you can't hear 'em.